Pages

Tuesday, July 4, 2023

Post-Christian

 I realised today that I've been stuck defining 'post-Christian' as I think others might. Also, I feel compelled to see it as a point in time at which things turned, when in my own mind I can almost never pinpoint down a cultural change to one specific time.

So I let go of that, and I realise I see it as a process or progression; I look back on what I currently know of history and can see it beginning centuries back.

I think I may define it as whenever a subculture of people departed from the belief that wisdom, virtue, and conscience exist (obviously in a Christian sense; I'm not sure if there is another sense for some of these or not- an interesting question). Eventually the post-Christianness grew and grew and it eventually became the name of the day. For many years it was not obvious, and now people call our time post-Christian because it is now much more obvious.

We are really very far away from them, as I see it. Other sentiments rule the day. Actually, I'd use a stronger word than sentiments, though I can't quite find the right word (beliefs is too general). It is fascinating how controlling these sentiments are, even within Christendom. The sentiments deceive us into thinking what they ask of us is the actions incumbent upon those who practise Christian virtues.

I dearly wish that Christians would truly discuss to what extent we are to go along with the mores of the day and to what extent we are being asked to update God's truth to fit a new generation. The lies are so, so very deceptive and subtle that they can hardly be seen, except by those who did not grow up in westernised places.

No comments:

Post a Comment